02 June 2009

Quests

I kind of run out of ideas for new things to add to the game, and I decided to focus on one aspect we were lacking: Quests.
In fact, I always wanted to have a game with lots of quests, that can be played much like a single player game, if the players chose to. But there were always other things getting in the way, so for the past 4 years there were no new quests (besides for a few new god quests).

Adding quests is a lot of work, and you have to be really careful and test them properly, or else there will be problems. Implementing a good quality quest can take 20+ hours, but since I have to do other things as well, it can take more than a week to add a new quest.

One of my dreams was to have about 10+ NPCs per map, all which are part of quests, or at the very least give some background information, to make the game feel more alive. All those NPCs must be connected in some way or shape, for example the NPCs on one map will talk about the NPCs on that map and even NPCs on nearby maps. Ultima 7 and Ultima 7 II do exactly this, and for this reason they still have a pretty big fan base.

Anyway, for the next few months I will try to focus most of my development work on adding more quests, and I hope people will enjoy it.

P.S. Most, if not all of the future quests will give experience in some skill[s], which will eliminate part of the boring, repetitive aspect of the game, and will give the new players a chance to level up faster. For example, if a quest gives 10K attack and defense exp, that's a lot for a level 20 newbie, but very little for someone who is level 80+

8 Comments:

Anonymous auror said...

Idea: put music back into the game, the old music songs sounded great.

3/6/09 02:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great news, thank you.
I'm one of the people who gave a thumbs up when asked about quests. While I've not done either of the new quests yet I certainly look forward to doing them in the near future.
Just an idea...I know we read books to gain knowledge to make things, but would it be too far removed from the norm to be able to gain knowledge of making a couple of things by doing a quest and gaining knowledge that way? Perhaps even gaining a sigil for some special spell after getting knowledge of it during a quest?

3/6/09 05:01  
Blogger Radu said...

Actually, gaining knowledge from a quest was already on my todo list. A sigil, on the other hand, it's harder to do.

Another idea I have is that after you complete a certain number of quests, you gain some big reward, such as a free perk that you can't remove or lose with reset.

3/6/09 19:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd not thought of gaining a perk that way. Very nice idea.

4/6/09 06:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only comment with the second of the new quests is that some of the locations were far too vague.
Other than that a great addition.

9/6/09 09:46  
Blogger Radu said...

Did you expect the hints to give GPS like locations? :D

13/6/09 04:22  
Anonymous Calin said...

I have a question since you're a fellow Romanian. How do i create a new character? I downloaded the game and also the update... but when i enter the game and try to make a new character it crashes. I would have told you this in romanian but then youre other readers hadn't been very happy if they didn't understand... human curiosity, u know:) Thanks man. Pls answer me in this post, cuz i will be back.

12/7/09 14:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had just a thought that might make the game a little more nicer. Since sharing among alts is allowed on PK server, it would be cool if we could share storage among alts, instead of having like 3 alts and 3 storages, that would eliminate a lot of alt-to-alt trading. Just a thought that popped into my head.

14/7/09 23:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home