30 November 2010

Achievements and more web site stuff

Now that the new web site is almost done, I want to add a bit more integration between the game and the web site.
Recently I added some achievement system, where after finishing some quests or other tasks you would get a mention about it on your player page. The player page is located so far on the game server, and I want to change this.
Ghrae worked at a nice caching system, where the player statistics are cached in an MySql database on the main web site. When requesting the player stats, it will check first if the information is already cached, and if not it will get it from the game server and cache it. This system makes it easier to integrate it with the web page layout and saves quite a bit of bandwidth. It will also display the achievements nicely, with graphical icons. Hopefully this new page should go live in an few days.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your ""Eternal Lands' MMORPG Postmortem"" on DevMaster.net, and I have to say wow - Really informative...
I must admit that I have not played (or even heard of) Eternal Lands till finding this post (though after reading what you have gone though I will defiantly check it out tonight).

A close friend and I have been designing a MMORPG for the past 2 years - intermittently.
We have been focused on concept, story, mechanics etc - and in more recent time the technology and found your post while trawling though Google, and can I say as a novice to this, THANKYOU for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

Cheers
John (Starrunner), Sydney Aust

5/1/11 22:15  
Blogger LordWiese said...

Hay man if your geting bored y not try and make a real sanbox mmo, i love games that let you build towns with your faction and have real freedom. Just a small thought.

8/3/11 20:16  
Anonymous game development said...

i have read your article and i found that you work very well. keep it.
Game Development

23/3/12 05:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home