23 May 2006

USB hard disk enclosures

Maybe I am an unlucky guy, but I think those enclosures have this nasty tendency to destroy HDDs.
I had two different enclosures, and two different hard disks. One was brand new, a 250 GB WD I got two weeks ago from Circuit City.
I placed it in my old enclosure, and it started making strange noises a few hours after. Then I thought that enclosure might be bad, since it did that with a previous HDD, so I got a new one. Well, the new HDD with the new enclosure seemed to work great, and for about 5 days, it actually did. And just after I ripped 6 DVDs (which I own) on the hard disk, today it just stopped working. Making strange noises and not reading it. Turning it on and off didn't help a bit, so now I am going to return the god damn HDD to Circuity City and ask for a better one.
Sometimes I wish I had a desktop, to avoid hacks like this.

I was wondering though, am I the only one that has this problem? Did it happen to anyone else? If so, did you solve it? How?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a hard drive that I connect via USB. I use it for backups of my tower's hard drive. As well as a spill over for video & music files (previous computer has a small hard drive).

I've had it for over a year now without issue. I don't use it often, but everytime I do, I do so without incident

24/5/06 00:06  
Blogger Donny said...

I haven't had issues like yours ever, having a 80GB Iomega USB 2.0 drive and one of those removable drive cases that you place inside the computer mainly used it when I was attending school since the school also had these removable harddrives. It contained a 40GB drive. What company makes the drives? I mainly use Western Digital but with my Iomega I didn't have a choice but it seems to run ok for me. I used it for laptop backups and linux.

26/5/06 15:01  
Blogger Donny said...

Ahh nevermind I see the WD hmm that is strange. Wonder what could be the cause. bad power connector? or IDE/USB cable....

26/5/06 15:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home